It Might Not Be Caffeine in Your Coffee That's Making You Poop, According to a Doctor
If you drink coffee and suddenly feel like you have to go number two, don't fret. Pascale M. White, MD, an assistant professor in Mount Sinai's division of gastroenterology and director of the gastroenterology clinic , said that coffee can absolutely make you poop, though research still needs to be done to learn more. We spoke to her about why that is and what you may want to consider when it comes to your daily caffeine fix.
Does Coffee Make You Poop?
Dr. White told POPSUGAR that medical professionals aren't quite sure what in coffee makes people have to poop, but there are some studies that claim that coffee "increases what we call the motor activity of the colon, specifically in the last portion called the rectosigmoid." She cited one study conducted back in 1990 and in the journal Gut (the main study that people cite when they talk about this subject, she noted) where researchers gave people black, unsweetened coffee, some decaffeinated and some caffeinated, as well as hot water. Four minutes after...
The last Posts from "PopSugar"
- 10 Running Shoes That Both Look Cute and Seriously Perform
- 31 Songs to Remind You That Struggling With Mental Health Doesn't Have to Be So Lonely
- No, This Core-Zapping, Heart-Pounding "Burpee Bolt" Isn't Impossible - It Just Looks That Way
- I've Run 40 Races in the Disney Parks - These Are My Best Tips For a Magical Race Weekend
- Chris Hemsworth Posted a Shirtless Workout Because He Wants Me to Combust, Apparently
- Carli Lloyd Isn't "Ungrateful" or a Bad Teammate For Wanting More World Cup Playing Time
- These Are My Favorite Wireless Headphones For Strength Training and Running
- Yoga Poses to Reduce Head-to-Toe Body Tension
- This Gymnast's Floor Routine Is Set to Billie Eilish's "Bury a Friend," and We're Here For It
- Lady Gaga Shared Her Postshow Recovery Routine, and It's as Extra as I Imagined
- The Extremely Important Reason I Work Out Every Day - It's Not to Lose Weight
- How Your Student Health Center Can Help You Get Birth Control, Even If You're Uninsured
- FYI, You Can Buy the Cutest Workout Clothes on Amazon
- 14 Yoga Poses That Promise Soothing Relief If You're Hunched Over a Computer All Day
- Blast Your Abs With This 10-Minute Bodyweight HIIT Workout
- Is Your Self-Diagnosed Sinus Headache Really Just a Horrible Migraine?
- I Was Skeptical About Meditating So I Tried It For 30 Days, and This Is What I Think About It
- 4 Survivors on What It's Like to Battle Breast Cancer - and How It Has Shaped Them Today
- I'm an Ob-Gyn, and Here's What I Want You to Know About HPV and How It's Spread
- What Hangover Remedies Really Work? We Asked a Registered Dietitian
The headlines of Master Doctor
21 Best Toys & Gifts For 8-Year Old Boys And Girls, According To An Expert
Age eight is a time to cultivate a child's creativity and encourage them to learn new skills. Dr. Lauren Gardner , a psychologist at the Center for Behavioral Health at Johns...
Recall: FDA Sees Trace Asbestos in J&J Baby Powder
Johnson & Johnson said FDA testing as recently as last month found no trace of asbestos. The company says the FDA's most recent test found "sub-trace levels" of asbestos in...
J&J recalls Baby Powder after FDA finds cancer-causing asbestos in a bottle
Food and Drug Administration tests found 'sub-trace' amounts of asbestos, a contaminant linked to cancer in a bottle of Baby Powder. J&J faces 13,000 lawsuits over mesothelioma...
Exercising before Breakfast can Boost Your Health
Is it better to exercise in the morning? Yes, working out before breakfast in the morning can offer a wide range of health benefits. So, hurry up, start exercising on an empty...
Effective Treatment for High-need, High-cost Patients
In crisis and with nowhere else to turn, many patients with serious mental and physical health problems and substance use disorders-every year flock to emergency rooms...
New Revolutionary Method to Detect Life-threatening Tumors
Tumors that tend to grow or spread aggressively can be detected through this cheap method. This method has impeccable accuracy when it comes to identifying highly heterogeneous...
A Physical Therapy Intervention to Advance Cognitive and Motor Skills: A...
Background: Physical therapy interventions for children with severe motor impairments do not address the relationship between motor and cognitive development. Purpose: Evaluate...
Sustainable Food Guide: Tips for Eating Sustainably + Top Food Choices
We've all heard the term “sustainable food” thrown around at one point or another. But do you know what it actually means to eat sustainably? Although the concept of...
Researchers successfully generate electricity from "the coldness of the...
You've heard of all the ways to convert light or wind or heat into usable electricity. But have you ever thought that the coldness of the universe might serve as an alternative...
Learn how to grow these 8 medicinal plants in your indoor garden
Growing herbs indoors is a popular hobby since it eliminates the hassle that comes with growing herbs in your backyard, especially when it comes to seasonal crops. While most...