It Might Not Be Caffeine in Your Coffee That's Making You Poop, According to a Doctor
If you drink coffee and suddenly feel like you have to go number two, don't fret. Pascale M. White, MD, an assistant professor in Mount Sinai's division of gastroenterology and director of the gastroenterology clinic , said that coffee can absolutely make you poop, though research still needs to be done to learn more. We spoke to her about why that is and what you may want to consider when it comes to your daily caffeine fix.
Does Coffee Make You Poop?
Dr. White told POPSUGAR that medical professionals aren't quite sure what in coffee makes people have to poop, but there are some studies that claim that coffee "increases what we call the motor activity of the colon, specifically in the last portion called the rectosigmoid." She cited one study conducted back in 1990 and in the journal Gut (the main study that people cite when they talk about this subject, she noted) where researchers gave people black, unsweetened coffee, some decaffeinated and some caffeinated, as well as hot water. Four minutes after...
The last Posts from "PopSugar"
- Netflix's Strip Down, Rise Up Trailer Explores the Powerful Healing Effects of Pole Dancing
- I Decided to Fight Hustle Culture by Doing Less, and I'm Not Turning Back
- We Asked Fitness Fans For Their Favorite YouTube Workouts - Here's What They Said
- Avo Toast, Tennis, and a Photo Shoot: Spend 24 Hours With Tennis Superstar Naomi Osaka
- This Hysterical TikTok Explains How the COVID Vaccine Works, and Oh My God, the Beatboxing
- For $650, You Can Buy an Air Purifier That Eliminates 99.9% of Airborne COVID-19
- Should You Take Zinc to Further Protect Yourself From COVID-19? We Asked Experts
- There's a Blogilates Fitness Line at Target, and It Includes Gold Dumbbells
- Got Half an Hour? Try This Fat-Burning, Lower-Body Dumbbell Workout
- Get Strong All Over and Sweat Like Heck With This 45-Minute Total-Body Dumbbell Workout
- I Did This 3-Step Journaling Method For 10 Days, and It Noticeably Improved My Mental Health
- We're Already Rooting For Brooklyn's Fearless Youth Football Team in This Netflix Trailer
- This 30-Second Anxiety-Calming Breathing Exercise Works Wonders on My Stress Levels
- Foil Fencer Ysaora Thibus Is Addressing Racial Justice Head On as She Prepares For the Olympics
- Knix Have Face Masks - They're Great For Workouts!
- You Can Now Do Peloton Classes Back to Back Seamlessly With the Stacked Feature
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Pairing Your AirPods With Your Peloton
- This Cheesy Fried Zucchini Recipe Looks So Good; Just Listen to That CRUNCH!
- 10 Protein-Rich Instant Pot Recipes That Will Help Keep Cravings at Bay
- 21 Flips to Kick off 2021? Yeah, This Athlete and Fitness Influencer Just Did That
The headlines of Master Doctor
COVID-19 Reduces US Life Expectancy
In the United States, the COVID-19 pandemic has significantly affected life expectancy.
CDC Says UK COVID-19 Variant Could be Dominant US Strain By March
UK COVID-19 variant which has spread to several countries across the globe, could become the dominant virus strain in the US by March, said CDC.
COVID-19 Vaccination Drive: 1.65 Lakh Beneficiaries Inoculated on Day 1
On the first day of the vaccination drive at 3,351 session sites across India, as many as 1.65 lakh beneficiaries were inoculated, said the Centre. No case of post-vaccination...
What Evidence Is Aiding School Reopening Decisions?
This story was originally published on July 10, 2020. As part of MedPage Today's review of the past year's top stories, we are republishing it, along with an update on school...
Pfizer's MRNA-Based Covid Vaccine Suspended
Over 23 Norwegian people who received Pfizer's mRNA-based Covid-19 vaccine died due to the vaccines' safety uncertainties. The new mRNA vaccine was developed in haste and had...
I Will also Get Vaccinated Against Coronavirus, Said Tamil Nadu CM
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K. Palaniswami said he too will get the COVID-19 vaccine against the coronavirus. The first vaccine shot was given to K. Senthil, State President of...
Pharmacy Chains Ready to Supply COVID-19 Vaccines
He Federal Retail Pharmacy Partnership Program has tapped two pharmacy chains per state to offer free COVID-19 vaccines. Already signed are CVS, Walgreens, Duane Reade, Costco...
Wearing Mask may Itself Lead to Contract COVID-19 Infection
Wearing a mask has become a mandatory action to slow the spread of surging COVID-19. But if it's not accompanied by proper public education, the practice could lead to more...
CDC: New COVID Strain May Dominate U.S. by March
CDC modeling indicates the variant could account for a majority of COVID cases in the U.S. in March, peaking at around 80,000 cases a day in late April.
Nearly 40% of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Brazil died amid surge
Nearly 40 percent of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Brazil died of the virus as the nation's health care system was inundated with coronavirus cases last year, a new study...