My Kids Are Growing Up, But My Job Definitely Isn't ‘Done'
“Mom, what do you do all day?” my seventeen-year-old son Dylan asked me one day last spring as he passed through the kitchen, tossing his cereal bowl - crusted with day-old Frosted Flakes - into the sink.
“Why do you ask?” I inquired, impressed that his cereal bowl had actually made it to the sink instead of festering in his room, congealing into a green fuzzy mass under his bed.
“Well,” he continued, “like I know you stayed home to raise us and all, but since I'm going to college next year and Brennan will be sixteen and able to drive himself everywhere, you're kind of done being a parent.”
Kind of done? These words shocked me like a bucket of cold water on my head, making me gasp for breath. Kind of done? Oh no, no, no , I'm nowhere near done with you kids, I thought to myself, a mixture of anger, fear and doubt bubbling up through my body.
When my kids were small, I promised myself that I would be the perfect mom. The Carol Brady of the new millennium. I would read to them every night and make them...
The last Posts from "Scary Mommy"
- NICU Nurse Reunites With Patient From 30 Years Ago While Caring For His Son
- Grab Your BFFs For A Sleepover: ‘Mall Madness' Is Coming Back
- Demi Lovato Talks To Ashley Graham About Recovering From An Eating Disorder
- 8 Clip-In Hair Extensions That Give You Amazing Hair In Under Five Minutes
- 30+ Birthday Greetings For Your Wife To Let Her Know She's Loved
- Ariana Madix Opens Up About Mental Health And Her Sexuality On ‘Vanderpump Rules'
- Mental Health Days Are Essential - For Adults AND For Kids
- I'm Grateful For The Way Our Body Positive Pediatrician Approaches Size And Weight
- PSA: Women Don't Need To Be Manhandled; A Simple ‘Excuse Me' Will Work
- 100+ Funny Drinking Quotes And Sayings That Will Have The Room Buzzing
- 10 Super Fun Easter Games To Give Your Little Bunnies The Hoppiest Easter Ever
- 30+ Wine Jokes And Puns That Will Give You A Riesling To Be Happy
- Don't Sweat It: The 11 Best Deodorants For Women's Underarms AND Private Parts
- 20+ Of The Funniest Verbal Pranks And Jokes That'll Have You Laughing And Then Groaning
- 10 Romantic And Sweet Birthday Ideas For Your Wife That Let Her Know You Care
- Girl Dresses As Target Employee At Bullseye-Themed Birthday Party Inside Store
- Lizzo Is Literally Dressed As A Chocolate Bar At The 2020 Brit Awards
- ‘She Is Our Leader': Dwyane Wade Talks About Daughter Zaya's Coming Out Journey
- My Niece Has Brain Cancer And It Has Changed The Way I Parent
- My Daugher Has Developmental Trauma Disorder
The headlines of Master Doctor
Treating PTSD: An Opioid Drug can Help Overcome Fear and Anxiety
Treating PTSD: An opioid drug can fight anxiety disorders, and also help numb fear memory, reveals a new study.
Babies Frequently Exposed to Household Cleaning Products More Prone to...
Can inhaling cleaning products affect your child's health? Yes, early exposure of babies to household cleaning products can increase the risk of developing asthma and wheezing...
Declines in Heart Attack Higher Among Men Than Women
Declines in acute myocardial infarction have slowed among women in comparison with men in recent years, reports a new study.
Coronavirus death toll climbs to more than 2,000 with more than 75,000 cases...
More than 2,000 people have now died from the killer coronavirus rapidly sweeping the world. And more than 75,000 patients have been struck down with the deadly SARS-CoV-2...
Mars may have developed habitable conditions as early as 4.2 billion years ago
A new study claims that Mars could have been habitable anywhere between 4.2 to 3.5 billion years ago. The authors of this study have adjusted their timeline of when they...
Study Probes Side Effects of Long-Used Methotrexate
People who took methotrexate had small-to-moderate increases in risks for skin cancer, infections, and gastrointestinal, lung and blood problems, according to the study...
The US Women's Soccer Team Could Make History With Another Olympic Gold in Tokyo
When the US women's soccer team takes the field at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo , they'll be in a unique position, arriving to the Games as both the gold-medal favorites and a...
Woman recovering from cancer becomes first in the world to give birth after...
Doctors took immature eggs from the French woman's ovaries before artificially maturing them in the lab and freezing them. Years later, the eggs were thawed and fertilised, and...
US bars more than 100 Americans on Diamond Princess from returning over...
CDC officials said on Tuesday that the remaining 100 Americans on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan pose an 'ongoing risk' to US public health and may not return...
4 Tips to Get Your Brain Moving in the Morning
Some people can hit their alarm, hop out of bed, and run out the door for a brisk jog without a sign of sleepiness in tow. Others seem to need a good half-hour in their robe...