Teacher's Empathy-Evoking First Day Of School ‘Baggage Activity' Goes Viral
Karen Loewe taught her kids to “love a little more, and forgive a little faster” with the help of a simple activity
Sometimes we all need to be reminded that pretty much everyone is struggling with something, which is why it is so important to walk through every day with kindness and empathy toward others. One Oklahoma teacher decided to give her new students an important life lesson at the start of the 2019-2020 school year, trying a new activity called “The Baggage Activity.” The result was an experience more profound than she could have ever imagined.
“This starts my 22nd year of teaching middle school. Yesterday was quite possibly one of the most impactful days I have ever had,” Loewe wrote in an August 23 Facebook post that has since gone viral. Loewe tells Scary Mommy that she got the brilliant idea for “The Baggage Activity” from a teacher page, and “just went with it.”
“I asked the kids what it meant to have baggage and they mostly said it was hurtful stuff you carry around on your shoulders,” she...
The last Posts from "Scary Mommy"
- Chrissy Teigen Isn't A Child-Eating Pedophile, You Gullible F*cking Dingaling
- CDC Says COVID-19 Survivors Have Immunity For About Three Months
- Post-Traumatic Growth Is Painful But Worth the Work
- I Never Got To Meet The Man Who Fell In Love With My Mother
- Stop Telling People To ‘Go Eat A Cheeseburger'
- The Best Kids Face Shields They Can Pair With Their Trusty Mask
- MIS-C: What Does It Do To Kids' Brains?
- COVID-19 And Heart Damage: Doctors And Researchers Are Concerned About Young People
- Marge Simpson Responds To Trump Adviser: ‘I Teach My Children Not To Name-Call, Jenna'
- Negative Reinforcement Isn't A Punishment - And It's What We Are Trying In My Family
- My Call To More Conscious Parenting
- The 8 Best Indoor And Outdoor Bluetooth Speakers To Fill Every Room In Your Life With Music
- Why Flu Shots Are Going To Be More Important Than Ever
- Reopening Schools Feels Like A Science Experiment
- I Empower My Kids To Make Their Own Choices - But Not About The Pandemic
- Fisher-Price Is Selling A WFH Set For Kids Complete With Spreadsheets And Coffee
- Brach's Has Turkey Dinner Candy Corn Because It's 2020 And There Are No Rules
- Ashley Graham And Justin Erwin Celebrate 10-Year Anniversary With Adorable His-And-Hers Tributes
- 6 Pro Tips From Preschoolers On How To Handle The Pandemic
- Trump Is Going After The USPS--Why We Must Keep His Tiny Hands Away From It
The headlines of Master Doctor
India Crosses 24L Covid Cases
India's Covid-19 count passed the 24-lakh mark on Friday with 64,553 new cases in 24 hours, while the toll climbed to 48,040 with 1,007 more fatalities, said the Health...
Test to Diagnose Covid-19 in 20 Minutes Discovered
In an ongoing fight against the novel coronavirus, the researchers have developed a new test that can diagnose Covid-19 in just 20 minutes.
Cyclospora cases from bagged salad mix continue on the upswing
The outbreak of parasitic infections linked to Fresh Express bagged salad mix has grown by 49 new laboratory-confirmed cases of Cyclospora, upping the total to 690 people, up...
Asymptomatic Corona Patients Mostly Won't Infect Close Contacts
New research has added to the growing body of evidence that asymptomatic patients suffering from Covid-19 are less likely to infect close contacts compared to severe cases.
Hydroxychloroquine works in high-risk patients, and saying otherwise is...
As of Wednesday, some 165,000 people in the United States have died from COVID-19. I have made the case in the American Journal of Epidemiology and in Newsweek that people who...
COVID-19 In Telangana: 1,921 New Cases Reported in 24 Hours
Telangana's coronavirus cases' tally crossed the 88,000-mark on Friday as 1,921 new cases were detected across the state during the last 24 hours, officials said.
20 Things You Should Pack to Help Ensure You Stay Safe and Healthy on Campus
Packing for college can be an overwhelming process, and although you can purchase a majority of your dorm essentials during that first week, there are some items - yes...
Breast cancer patients face 'cruel' postcode lottery for fertility treatment
Chemotherapy given to young women with breast cancer can leave them infertile, meaning many choose to freeze an embryo or their eggs for future IVF .
Using Social Media for Rapid Information Dissemination in a Pandemic...
Objective: To describe the impact of a strategy for international collaboration and rapid information dissemination on Twitter among the pediatric critical care community...
No Clear Timeline for COVID-19 Vaccine
WASHINGTON - How soon will the U.S. population see a COVID-19 vaccine? The answer seems to depend on who you ask. President Trump appears to be the most optimistic person in...